Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Diamonds Diamonds Diamonds: Day 7

As many of you know, Antwerp has a long association with diamonds. The industry is the cities second most important trade, after its giant ass port that I hope to visit later. Apparently 80% of all "rough" diamonds and 50% of all cut diamonds in the world are handled in Antwerp. Crazy huh?

So with this in mind I decided to visit the Diamond Museum here in Antwerp, a 4 story museum that follows Antwerps 500 year history with the mineral. I honestly wasn't that excited because I am not a big jewery person but the museum was amazing. Instead of just saying "Hey, here be diamonds!", the museum had a personal human story for each piece of jewery slowly giving the industry more...um soul or meaning. Don't know how to describe it, but for someone like me who likes stories it was alot more interesting than just giving me the name and the date created.

Afterwards, of course, I had more beer. I think the people here drink more beer than water...you know I actually haven't seen anyone drink water, heh, my kind of people.

As what I usually do, I asked some of the bar patrons what kind of beer to drink. They suggested the following; Chimay Triple, Kapittel Blond, and....um...gosh darn it. I need to start writing these things down. I think perhaps once I find out what beers I have had I am going to have an entry for each beer. I might have to taste each one again though....oh well. I do remember that I really liked the Chimay, another Trappist. Like I said before they are kind of a bubbly cider, but not.

No comments:

Post a Comment