Saturday, December 26, 2009

Uiensoep: Day 11

This morning I decided to make onion soup the belgium way (via SOS Pete), which I don't think is any different than the french way, but don't tell them that.

Step One - Get uien.
For this I went outside to the saturday farmers market in Hoboken, I ended up getting 10 onions for less than 0.50 euros. Go farmers markets.

Step Two - Chop Onions into thin slices. (snijd de uien in twee en dan fijne ringen)
I cried, alot.

Step Three - Caramelize (gekaramelliseerd)
I have never caramelized onions before, ive burnt yes, but never caramelized so this was an experiment. I ended up mixing half a bar of butter with my onions and just cooking them over medium-high heat for 10 minutes. It worked quite well I think.

Step Four - Take onions out of pan and boil water in pan.
I honestly don't know where exactly it says this in the book but I figured it made sense. The intention is to get all the caramel goodness out of the pan and into the water, which you then add into the pot with your onions.

Step Five - Add water and spices to pot (voeg de rest van het water toe, samen met de tijm, laurier en italian mix)
I pretty much spiced to taste and added some chicken stock to give it a base.

Step Six - Simmer for 30 (opkoken en 30 minuten zacht pruttelen)
You basically want to concentrate everything together into yummyness.

Step Seven - Cook bread and cheese in oven (leg een toast met kaas onder de grill)
I fucked up this step. The place I am at doesn't have an oven, it has a combi, a combination oven and microwave....hella weird. So when I put the bread in I accidentally nuked it instead of cooking it. So not ok. Once I figured out once I did wrong I cooked it just a little bit longer to harden it up a bit (soggy bread sucks) and added some salmon to create a yummy appetizer. I then made it the correct way.

After it simmered down it tasted quite good. And even better once you add the cheesy bread. I know it is an easy recipe but after translating it from Flemish I figured I would fuck it up. But apparently not. Go onion goodness! So making this again once I get back to the states.

1 comment:

  1. It occurs when sugars in a food product are browned as a result of heat being applied. Sugar will begin to carmelize at 320 degrees F. Generally it occurs between 320 and 360 degrees F. Onions have sugar and acid. However, when you heat onions they lose their nutrition. It is better to eat sweet onions raw. When you cut onions, if you start in the center, the emyzemes aren't as strong and you won't cry as much.

    ReplyDelete